And the OSCAR goes to ...

Few months ago, I got the invitation to attend session on productivity technique Mind-Map. It was to be presented by a colleague in another department at STMicroelectronics Pvt Ltd, Greater Noida.

I had been using this technique successfully for 7 years for now. But a very useful translation of some Shloka relating to 4-parts of learning just came to mind:
- ¼ of learning happens from Guru/teacher,
- ¼ from self-study,
- ¼ from practice and
- ¼ from peer discussion/experience sharing.

It was a rare chance of peer sharing of rare technique.

During and after the sessions, I went down my memory lane.

First clear memory came of a time, when I shared this tool to a colleague who wanted to depict a directed-graph to demonstrate workflow of a GUI SW he was documenting.

I had suggested ‘FreeMind’, a tool capable of drawing mind-maps. Mind-maps match Graph data structure very closely, so it naturally handles N-ary tree depiction. This pleased him and he successfully depicted it.

Going further – I remembered I was using it before joining ST. (its long 7 years)
And further – when and where did I pick up this cool technique in first place?

Aha! The Oscar’s in Software – JOLT awards.

After a recent switch to another SW development group, I dusted my book collection and pulled out “Code Complete” by Steve McConnell. It’s known as reference guide to designing excellent quality SW.

There it was – I have first noticed ‘Jolt Award’ printed on the book cover. This book has won it and its author Steve McConell had won it multiple times for various books.

To introduce the importance of Oscars in movies, it’s annually given for best - movie / direction / acting / music etc. This award is prestigious and recognizes excellence exhibited in various categories.

Jolt Awards are given in field of Software Engineering, to the best judged – programming tool / book / utility / library. It marks excellence in SW engineering.



I have tracked these awards for many years now and have learnt a lot. It helps me to track state-of-art.

When someone mentions popular ‘URGENT/IMPORTANT matrix’ (for managing and prioritizing Long-Term Important tasks among Daily rain of urgent tasks), I always place tracking these awards as – Not Urgent but Very Important J

I thought to share it for those who like to pursue excellence in their work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

हिंदी लेखन:संपूर्ण समाधान भाग 1 Hindi Keyboard

अथ ध्यानम् (Ath Dhyanam)

Typing in Hindi on Windows 7